Need a tool to automatically document your Visual Basic 6.0 source code?
The VB Documentation Tool creates comprehensive developer documentation for Visual Basic 6.0 application source code.
April 2023: The VB Documentation Tool is now available for free. Please bear in mind the software is unsupported and I am unable to provide updates, fixes or technical support because the tools I used to build it no longer work on my PC. If you have any questions about the tool then post a comment below and I’ll do my best to answer them.
- Huge time savings compared to writing code documentation by hand.
- Allows you to get to grips with huge legacy VB 6 applications, and assists with the migration to other technologies like VB.NET.
- A range of output documentation format options is available.
- Documents the wide range of Visual Basic project types including Windows Forms and Class Libraries.
- Shows the key Functions, Subrouties, Properties and Constants used in the Project.
- Documentation includes the Project’s colour coded, syntax highlighted, cross-referenced and line numbered source code.
- Optionally documents Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, 2000, 2005, 2008 and Microsoft Access databases associated with VB Projects.
- Easy to install and run. The product includes a Windows installer and runs through a full Windows Graphical User Interface.
- Can be run from the Windows command line, allowing documentation builds to be scheduled.
- For VB.NET projects a separate .NET Documentation Tool is available (C# is also supported).
Screenshots and Documentation Samples
Below is a sample screenshot of the documentation created for a small Visual Basic 6.0 application:
The tool creates technical documentation in HTML, HTML Help and plain text formats.
The HTML format reports can be viewed in all web browsers, and are useful to post on your Intranet, Wiki or product support site.
The HTML Help format report contains full indexed and cross-referenced documentation for a VB 6.0 application, making it easy to search the entire codebase.
Finally, the plain text report can be used as the basis of custom created documentation created in a Word Processor or other application.
- Download the VB Documentation Tool today, and see how it can dramatically improve your application’s technical documentation.